Guidance and Counseling Services
Welcome to the Simsbury High School School Counseling Department. Simsbury High School is a unique school, rich in tradition and spirit. It is a wonderful environment in which to grow academically, personally, and socially. You will be presented with many new and exciting opportunities to explore areas of interest that will help cultivate this growth. It is the philosophy of the School Counseling Department to encourage and promote this exploration as a means of self-inquiry, and as an important tool in the development of self-awareness. We pride ourselves in understanding how individualized the developmental process is for each student and work hard to encourage choices that will help you question your assumptions, challenge your intellect, and stimulate your creativity.
Through our Student Success Plan, all students will have the opportunity for an enriching high school experience that will set a firm foundation for future success. We also seek to bring your attention to the growing number of educational options that exist Beyond the Walls of SHS, which can serve as both a supplement to our core curriculum and excellent resume building opportunities for those interested in thinking or doing “outside the box”. We encourage you to explore our website and let us know what questions arise as your curiosity is piqued.
The School Counseling Department is a major hub of Simsbury High School and a primary source of information throughout your high school journey. Our goal is to know our students, know our families, and know the opportunities that exist for you. We look forward to a productive partnership with you, and to providing the necessary support and encouragement through these exciting years.
Jane Ellen Peregrin
Director of School Counseling
How Do Students Contact Their Counselors?
Students may initiate a meeting with their counselor by emailing them requesting an appointment.
Counselor emails are linked under
the counselor assignments.
Email addresses contain the email@example.com
In the e-mail, please include:
- your full name
- day/period/time you are available (can not be during class time)
- a brief description of what will
An e-mail reply will be sent to you with a scheduled date and time to confirm the appointment.
For urgent situations, you may always come to the counseling office without making an appointment and one of the secretaries will assist you.
How Do Parents Contact the Counselor?
Parents are urged to make appointments with the counselor when questions or concerns develop by phone or email. The secretaries will set up appointments as requested. Email addresses are firstname.lastname@example.org
Is Privacy of Information Practiced?
Yes. The counselors adhere to confidentiality. This applies to the information gathered from student discussions as well as student records. However, if information is known that a person may cause physical harm to themselves or to others, the staff is required to report the information to the appropriate authorities.
An orientation program is provided by counselors in during the summer and again in February to welcome students and families. This program includes specific events geared to meet the needs of the following groups as they become a part of the Simsbury High School population:
- Grade 8 students entering Simsbury High School
- Grade 9 - 12 students entering Simsbury High School
- Students new to the town
- Parents of students new to Simsbury High School
The ways in which your counselor may serve you are described below.
- Assistance is provided to students to choose courses that best suit their interest, ability and career choice
- Orientation Program for incoming freshmen and their parents are offered regarding course selection and extracurricular activities.
- Counseling is available to students who exhibit academic difficulties. Parents, teachers, and other professionals are included in this process.
- Supplemental testing is recommended when needed.
- Help is available in locating a student or professional tutor when requested.
- Planning and Placement Team meetings are held to plan an educational program, when needed.
- Assistance is provided in post high school planning in the following manner:
- Individual conferences with students
- Group meetings with students for each grade level
- Evening programs for students and parents:
- Counselor meetings with parents and students
- During the fall representatives from colleges, technical schools, and the military visit to meet students.
- A Financial Aid Program for parents is held for families of students planning on attending higher education.
- Counselors assist with the local scholarship program.
College and Career Center
- Individual and group conferences regarding career planning are held.
- Interest inventories such as the "Do What You Are" and the "Career Interest Profile" are used.
- Computer software is available to give information regarding up-to-date descriptions of careers and closely related fields and sources of further information.
- A student may consult with a counselor regarding a personal problem.
- Counselors may, at times, meet with groups of students who share common problems.
- A counselor is an excellent resource for names of professionals who help meet specific needs of students. These referrals extend to professionals inside and outside of the school system.
- Counselors will work with students as they develop their own decision-making skills.
- Counselors are available to assist students who feel they have an immediate emotional need.
The following is a list of counselor assignments for this year. To find out who your counselor will be, check the appropriate grade and corresponding alphabetical division of your last name.
Grade 9 - Class of 2021
A - Cam Amanda Tornaquindici
Can - Fi Carla MacNeil
Fl - Kn Paula Garza + Academies
Ko - Meh Sandy Vollaro
Mej - Poh Donna Cannon
Poj - Stei Greg Stillman + ABC
Stej - W Pam Sickinger
Y - Z Jane Ellen Peregrin
GRADE 10 - Class of 2020
A - Cai Amanda Tornaquindici
Caj - D Carla MacNeil
E - Hol Paula Garza + Academies
Hom - Man Sandy Vollaro
Mao - Pi Donna Cannon
Pj - Sh Greg Stillman + ABC
Si - W Pam Sickinger
Y - Z Jane Ellen Peregrin
GRADE 11 - Class of 2019
A - Can Amanda Tornaquindici
Cas - Fra Carla MacNeil
Fri - Ho Paula Garza + Academies
Hu - May Sandy Vollaro
Maz - Re Donna Cannon
Ri - Spi Greg Stillman + ABC
Spr - Z Pam Sickinger
GRADE 12 - Class of 2018
A - Ce Amanda Tornaquindici
Ch - Du Carla MacNeil
Dy - Ha Paula Garza + Academies
He - Lec Sandy Vollaro
Leh - O Donna Cannon
P - Schl Greg Stillman + ABC
Schw - Z Pam Sickinger
Y - Z Jane Ellen Peregrin