Philosophy, Goals and Principles
We believe the interscholastic sports offerings at Simsbury High School to be an integral part of the educational experience. We attempt to provide a broad, comprehensive program that will allow students to excel in a field of their choosing. Competitive activities are selected according to the needs, interests and abilities of our students, and are organized appropriately for their physical and emotional maturity. We will provide as many athletic teams as we can adequately coach, accommodate and support.
When utilized properly, athletics serve as a foundation for the development of a positive self image. Athletic competition encourages cooperation, teamwork, dedication, self-sacrifice and commitment. Playing a sport also improves physical fitness and emotional maturity. We believe that our students gain a great deal from participation in the sports programs in regards to mental, physical and social development.
Our primary goal is to help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem. While winning is certainly important, we also stress the objectives of conditioning, strategy, sportsmanship and game skills on all of our teams.
Listed below are some points of emphasis for each of our teams:
• Teamwork: Teamwork helps develop self-discipline, respect for authority and a rigorous work ethic. Students will learn to place the goals and needs of their team above personal goals.
• Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship embodies treating the opposing team with respect and honor. Emphasis will be placed on emotional control, honesty and cooperation.
• Striving for Success: Students will learn to perform to the best of their ability, to win with hard play and dedication, and to accept defeat in an honorable fashion.
• Enjoyment: We must never forget the primary reason sports are played in the first place: to have fun.
To provide our students with the best athletic opportunity possible, the Simsbury High School Athletic Department will:
• be a well coordinated part of the secondary school curriculum
• be accounted for through a cooperative budgeting process
• be based upon the spirit of amateurism
• be conducted by certified school teachers, administrators and/or state certified coaches
• provide many students with an opportunity to participate in a variety of sports through three seasons
• foster the learning of game ethics and sportsmanship for athletes and spectators
• be conducted under the rules of the appropriate governing athletic body
Please visit our district Bullying Prevention page.